Get ready to challenge yourself, this is it, you sign to start Planking every day. This challenge has been adapted from the Kiss Fitness Monthly Exercise Challenge for January, #PlankAwayJanuary. This 28 Day version means you can start it whenever you want and repeat it as much as you like. The challenge is FREE, however, we offer a premium upgrade which includes the challenge programmed in the Kiss Fitness Online Training App. This option allows you to track your challenge efforts, get daily push reminders on your mobile device and the ability to 'Ask a Trainer' any questions you have.
This challenge is staggered & progressively increases in time throughout the month with three levels to choose from and three plank variations, this challenge will be suitable for anyone of anyone as there are multiple ways to progress or regress the challenge.
The plank is an excellent isometric exercise, it requires core stabilizers to fire to maintain body & spinal alignment.
World Pank Record
Think you could beat it? Apply via the Guinness Book of records (links below)
The longest time in an abdominal plank position is 8 hours 1 minutes and was achieved by Mao Weidong (China) on an event organized by Men's Health in Beijing, China on 14 May 2016.
Before you start the challenge
This challenge is progressive and you should notice some gains throughout the month. To start off you should test your current core strength with a Plank test. This simple test will give you an idea of where you are now, this can be compared when conducting the same test at the end of the challenge. The result of the test will help you choose the plank variation to do during the challenge.
To conduct the test:
- Have a stopwatch ready or a friend with a stopwatch.
- Get into the plank position.
- Hold the plank for as long as you can.
- Stop the test when you fail or you reach 2 minutes.
Choose the Plank variation based on your initial Plank Test result
- Under 30 seconds - Choose the Beginner variation (Half Plank).
- 30 seconds up to 1 minute 30 seconds - Choose the Regular or Alternative Plank variations.
- 1 minute 30 seconds and above - Choose the Plank/Up-Down variation for a dynamic plank. Alternatively, you could use an unstable platform such as a BOSU, Balance Pod or Fitness Ball and place your feet upon them creating a more demanding static Plank exercise.
Test your progress with a follow-up Plank Test at the end of the month
After a month of regular planking, you should be feeling stronger with more endurance in your core and stabilizing muscles. To find out how you have improved, repeat the test you conducted at the start of the month. The test should be exactly the same conditions, same plank variation etc.
28 Day Plank Challenge Target Guides
PlankAwayJanuary Levels 2018
The challenge is split into 3 levels for which you can score your progress, you don't need to keep to one level, You can mix & match and go up or down a level. Each level has a score associated with it, use the free-scoring sheet available for download below to track your progress and tally your total score for the month
We have designed this challenge as a progressive ascending pyramid, in simple turns, each day is equal or harder than the last. The challenge progresses at small steps enabling you to become stronger as you go through the month. The challenge has two-day steps where we keep to the same target for two days (we can call this acclimatization if you like). It's all to get you up to your target time at the end of the month, in a safe, effective and progressive manner.
Let's do it! Pick your level below or Mix 'n' Match
28 Day Plank Challenge Target Guides #28DayPlankChallenge
Download the #28DayPlankChallenge targets, pin to your fridge and hit those plank times.
LEVEL 1 - EASY
Level 1 is our beginner PLANK challenge for those either to new to the lunge exercise or exercise as a whole. The beginner level will be challenging yet achievable for this ability and skill level.
- Total Time = 20 Minutes 10 seconds
- Lowest Daily Time = 10 seconds
- Highest Daily Time = 90 seconds
LEVEL 2 - MODERATE
Level 2 represents our intermediate level for this PLANK challenge if you have previous experience of the lunge exercise and of moderate fitness level, this would be a suitable level for you.
- Total Monthly Time = 40 Minutes 20 seconds
- Lowest Daily Time = 20 seconds
- Highest Daily Time = 180 seconds
LEVEL 3 - HARD
Level 3 assumes you are familiar with the PLANK exercise and have a good fitness level. If you regularly participate in physical exercise, this is the challenge level for you.
- Total Monthly Time = 60 Minutes 50 seconds
- Lowest Daily Time = 30 seconds
- Highest Daily Time = 270 seconds
Don't forget to use the Scoring Sheet
The Plank Exercise
- Keep neutral spine alignment
- Maintain straight line through shoulders, hips, knees & ankles
- Maintain abdominal tension
- Remember to breath