- Serves 4
- Prep time - under 10 mins
- Cooking time - under 10 mins
This is a blast from the past that you may only have ordered from a takeaway! Now however you can bring this old favourite back into your life with only 300 cals per portion and even more flavour than you remember!
- 4 chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium onion cut into 12 wedges
- 2 peppers (any colour) cut into chunks
- 225g can of water chestnuts, halved
- 2 garlic cloves peeled & crushed
- 25g of fresh root ginger, peeled & finely grated
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
Ingredients for Sauce
- 425g can of pineapple chunks in natural juice
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 150ml water
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
Firstly make the sauce by draining the pineapple chunks & keeping all the juice.
Put the cornflour in a bowl & stir in 3 tbsp of pineapple juice to make a smooth paste.
Now add the remaining juice, water, soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup & chilli flakes until combined. Set aside.
Heat oil in a pan & fry onions & peppers for 2 mins over high heat.
Add the chicken to the pan and stir-fry until coloured.
Add garlic, ginger, chestnuts & pineapple and fry for 1 min.
Give the sauce mixture a good stir and add to the pan.
Stir well & bring to a simmer.
Cook for 4-6 mins until the sauce is thickened & chicken tender
Serve with rice.
Tried & tested by Dan.